Hurricane Preparedness 2021
Dear Florida Conference leaders and constituents, I pray that this message finds you in good health. As you may be aware, the 2021 hurricane season is quickly approaching and is expected to extend from June 1-November 30, 2021. I would like to remind you of some important safety measures that you can take to equip yourself and those around you.
- Please call upon the Lord to keep us all safe.
- Listen attentively to the news and weather channels in your area, and obey all the warnings about hurricanes and any other natural disasters coming to Florida.
- Download the FEMA app on your smart device.
- Help your family and neighbors to prepare for the worst. I encourage you to follow these recommendations for preparation:
- Clear brush and mobile objects from around the house.
- Get your window shutters ready for hanging.
- Stock up on non-perishable foods and water (two-week supply), and pet food & supplies if you have pets.
- Gather items such as flashlights & batteries, portable phone chargers, portable radio, coal or camping stoves, blankets, first aid & medication, basic toiletries, whistle, face masks, and appropriate clothing and footwear.
- Fill your gas tank and have cash on hand.
- Secure your medications and important documents such as personal IDs, birth & marriage certificates, credit cards, house, and other property titles, and passports.
- Update your homeowners’ insurance or obtain it if you do not have one.
- Have an escape plan, should there be an evacuation order for your community.
- Obey all the instructions of the Governor’s office.
While we cannot avoid a natural disaster, we can help minimize its impact on ourselves and our neighbors.
Please take some time to prepare yourself; the following are some valuable resources:
- How to Prepare https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
- Prepare an Emergency Kit
- Family Emergency Plan Family Emergency Plan (fema.gov)
- Keep Your Pet Safe https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/pet-disaster-preparedness.html#pet-emergency-kit
Please feel free to call me at 407-618-0225 or email me at Conrad.firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact my assistant by email at Admelyz.email@example.com or by calling 407-618-0210.
Conrad G. Duncan
Disaster Response Director
Florida Conference of Seventh-day Adventists